Dr. Dorothy Forbes
My clinical practice has been primarily community nursing in rural and urban settings in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta. On completion of my graduate studies at the Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, I began my academic career at the University of Saskatchewan, followed by The University of Western Ontario and recently returned to the University of Alberta. I have taught community nursing, research, and systematic review undergraduate and graduate courses.
My community nursing experiences drive my program of research which focuses on supporting persons with dementia and their care partners in rural and urban Canada. I am currently conducting a CIHR/ASC funded project that is exploring rural home care providers, persons with dementia and their care partners' co-creation of evidence-informed decision making related to dementia care. I have examined the influence of gender on social support among home care clients using interRAI data and continue to conduct Cochrane Reviews on interventions that manage the symptoms of dementia. In addition, I am a co-investigator on several projects: enhancing rehabilitation across sectors through better use of health information (Paul Stolee, PI); the effects and costs of a nurse-led interprofessional mental health promotion intervention for depressed older adults using home support services (Maureen Markle-Reid, PI); and knowledge to action processes in SHRTN collaborative communities of practice (James Conklin, PI).
I held a CIHR New Investigator award from 2003-2008 and was President of the Canadian Association for Nursing Research from 2003-2007. I am currently a member of the management committee of the Canadian Dementia and Knowledge Translation Network; Adjunct Professor, College of Graduate Studies and Research, University of Saskatchewan; and Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Western Ontario.
Selected Recent Publications
- Ward-Griffin, C., Hall, J., DeForge, R., St-Amant, O., McWilliam, C., Oudshoorn, A., Forbes, D., & Kloseck, M. (2011). Dementia home care resources: How are we managing? Journal of Aging Research, 2012, 11 pages. doi:10.1155/2012/590724
- Morgan, D., Cammer, A., Stewart, N., Crossley, M., D’Arcy, C., Forbes, D., & Karunanayake, C. (2012). Nursing aide reports of physical assault by residents with dementia: Results from a detailed prospective incident diary. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association (JAMDA),13, 220-227.
- Forbes, D.A., Ward-Griffin, C., Kloseck, M., Mendelsohn, M., St-Amant, O., DeForge, R., & Clark, K. (2011). "My world gets smaller and smaller with nothing to look forward to”: Dimensions of social inclusion and exclusion among rural dementia care networks. Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care, 11(2), 27-42.
- Forbes, D., Montague, P., Gibson, M., Hirdes, J. & Clarke, K. (2011). Social support deficiency in home care clients. Perspectives: Journal of the Gerontological Nursing Association, 34(3), 5-17.
- Jansen, S.L., Forbes, D., Duncan, V., Morgan, D.G. & Malouf, R. (2011). Melatonin for cognitive impairment. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 3(12). (Original publication: 2006, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD003802). DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003802.pub3
Search for Dr. Forbes' publications using PubMed (Search retrieves some articles from another D Forbes)